Back to Entertainment
"Chicken" by barryskeates is licensed under CC BY 2.0,
1. There are more chickens on earth than people – 25 billion. There are also more chickens than any other bird species.
2. Chickens can remember over 100 different faces of people or animals.
3. A mother hen turns her eggs about 50 times per day, and can lay more than 300 eggs per year.
4. The record number of eggs laid by a chicken in one day is 7. The record number for eggs laid by a chicken in one year is 371.>
5. A chicken egg develops at 88 degrees Fahrenheit, and is laid at 105 degrees.
6. Chickens were domesticated in Southern China around 8,000 years ago in 6000 B.C.
7. The color of the egg depends on the chickens earlobes. Red ear lobed chickens lay brown eggs, while white ear lobed chickens lay white eggs.
8. As chickens grow older, they lay larger eggs, but fewer than when they’re younger.
9. Chickens can taste saltiness, but not sweetness.
10. A hen has to eat about four pounds of feed to make one dozen eggs.
11. Chicken wings used to be considered undesirable and sometimes thrown out, until 1964 when a restaurant owner barbecued and served them in 1964 and called them Buffalo wings. They were named after the city they were first made in, Buffalo, New York.
12. The record for most egg yolks in one egg is 9 yolks.
13. The largest chicken egg ever recorded weighed 12 ounces and contained two yolks.
14. Americans consume 8 billion chickens per year which is more chicken than beef; at 80 pounds of chicken per capita compared to 63 pounds of beef per capita.
15. The longest recorded flight by a chicken lasted for 13 seconds at a total distance of 301 feet.
16. Chickens have prehistoric roots and are the closest living relative of the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
17. Chickens bodies contain 15% more water than humans.
18. The fear of chickens is called Alektorophobia.
19. If the white of an egg is cloudy, it means the egg is fresh.
20. Chickens can see and dream in full color.